French toast is a classic breakfast dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. It’s a simple yet satisfying meal that’s perfect for lazy Sunday mornings or a quick breakfast on-the-go. However, have you ever considered taking your French toast to the next level with sous vide cooking? With this method, you can achieve a perfectly cooked and moist French toast every time.
What is Sous Vide Cooking?
Sous vide is a French term that means “under vacuum.” It is a cooking technique where food is placed in a plastic bag or a vacuum-sealed pouch and then submerged in a water bath that is held at a precise temperature. The food is cooked slowly and evenly, resulting in a tender and juicy texture.
How to Make Sous Vide French Toast
To make sous vide French toast, you will need the following ingredients:
- 6 slices of bread (preferably brioche or challah)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your sous vide cooker to 155°F (68°C).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, heavy cream, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- Cut the bread into thick slices and dip each slice into the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides thoroughly.
- Transfer the egg-coated bread slices into a large resealable bag, and remove as much air as possible before sealing the bag.
- Place the bag in the water bath, and cook for 1 hour.
- After the cooking time is up, remove the bag from the water bath and transfer the slices to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the slices of French toast and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings, such as fresh berries, whipped cream, or maple syrup.
Why Sous Vide French Toast?
The sous vide cooking method allows for even and precise cooking, ensuring that every bite of your French toast is cooked to perfection. The slow-cooking process also allows the bread to absorb the egg mixture thoroughly, resulting in a moist and flavorful French toast that’s far superior to traditional methods.
In addition to the superior texture and flavor, the sous vide method is also convenient. You can prepare the French toast in advance, and simply finish it off in a hot skillet when you’re ready to serve. This makes it a perfect breakfast option for busy mornings or when entertaining guests.
Sous vide French toast is a delicious and easy-to-make breakfast that’s sure to impress. With a little bit of preparation and the right equipment, you can enjoy perfectly cooked French toast every time. So, the next time you’re in the mood for a classic breakfast dish, give sous vide French toast a try!